Sexual Abuseback to top
- Approximately 30% of sexual assault cases are reported to authorities. 3
- 9.3% of cases of maltreatment of children in 2012 were classified as sexual abuse. 9
- 62,939 cases of child sexual abuse were reported in 2012. 9
- In 2010, 12% of rapes and sexual assaults involved a weapon. 13
- In 2010, 25% of the female victims of rape/sexual assault were victimized by strangers. 13
- According to “Have Sexual Abuse and Physical Abuse Declined Since the 1990s?” an article released by the Crimes Against Children Research Center in 2012: 19
- There was a 56% decline in physical abuse and a 62% decline in sexual abuse from 1992 to 2010.
Victims of Sexual Abuse back to top
- Only 16% of all rapes were reported to law enforcement. 12
- In 2006 alone, 300,000 college women (5.2%) were raped. 12
- Among college women, about 12% of rapes were reported to law enforcement. 12
A Centers for Disease Control and Prevention survey on the national prevalence of intimate partner violence, sexual violence, and stalking found:
- 28% of male rape victims were first raped when they were 10 years old or younger. 18
- 35.8% of sexual assaults occur when the victim is between the ages of 12 and 17. 1
- 82% of all juvenile victims are female. 5
Disclosure Among Victims back to top
When children do disclose: 21
- It is frequently to a friend or a sibling.
- Few disclose abuse to authorities or professionals.
- Of all professionals, teachers are the most likely to be told.
Abuse via Technologyback to top
- Approximately 1 in 7 (13%) youth Internet users received unwanted sexual solicitations. 8
- 9% of youth Internet users had been exposed to distressing sexual material while online. 8
Perpetrators of Sexual Abuse back to top
- About 30% of perpetrators of child sexual abuse are family members.
- Only about 10% of perpetrators of child sexual abuse are strangers to the child.
- Fact Sheet: What You Need to Know About Sex Offenders (pdf)